Is your home talking to you? Time to pay attention.
Part of settling into a new home is figuring out what noises are normal. Most are nothing to worry about but some could signal a deeper issue. Here are a few that you should pay attention to:
- Furnace Noises – A humming noise is normal but loud pops, scraping, grinding or squealing sounds should be checked out professionally.
- Scratching Sounds – The dreaded sound of scratching likely means you have rodents that are making themselves at home so take notice before it gets out of hand.
- Running Water – Check for leaks and water damage around the home. If you can’t figure it out quickly, call a plumber as it could mean a broken pipe.
- Gurgling Toilet – Gurgling noises coming from the toilet could signal a blockage in the toilet or drain, a blockage in the vent stack or a main sewer drain blockage.
- Noisy Fridge – Some whirring and clicking is normal but if your fridge is cracking or popping, it could be a compressor or a temperature regulation issue.
You can expect to hear some noises coming from your home as the various building materials will contract and expand. Just keep an ear out for anything unusual and don’t hesitate to call a professional if in doubt!
Michael J Preston 705-309-1747
Broker of Record, Lakeview Realty Inc., Brokerage